The action of rain:
If the wall faces are not sufficiently covered when exposed to heavy rainstorms, they become a source of leaks within a building. Likewise, leaks from roofs often allow the intrusion of rainwater or drain water into a system.
For dampness or leaks in the structure, open wall tops, parapet walls, and compound walls should be responsible.
Because of the condensation process, the humidity is concentrated on the walls, ceilings, etc.
There are many various causes of dampness or leakage, as mentioned below:
- Leakage can reach the device if the structure is situated on a site that can not be washed away easily.
- A building’s orientation is also an important aspect. The wall is likely to get wet and leaky, with less sunlight and frequent rain showers.
- Newly built walls remain damp for a brief period.
- A very flat slope of a roof may also lead to the penetration of rainwater or drain water, which is temporally stored on the top.
- The dampness is also caused due to lousy artistry in construction, such as defective rainwater drain and water supply pipe connections, faulty joints in the roofs, the improper relationship of the walls, etc.
Causes of seepage/leakage and treatments in buildings
Seepage/ contamination occurs mostly from walls and roofs.
Leakage through roofs:
As below, the sources of seepage/leakage across tops are:
(i) Lack of a decent slope, allowing water to stagnate.
Remedy: A proper slope should be given to stop water stagnation.
(ii) Lack of adequate drainage system
Remedy: Sufficient drainage pipes should be supplied.
(iii) Lack of gola, copying, etc
Treatment: It should be supported with Gola at the junction point and coping on the wall’s top.
(iv) Poor care of the ties and joints of water pipes
Remedy: Maintenance of and fitting of water supply pipe connections should be leakproof.
(v) Poor quality of construction
Treatment: Good workmanship should be adopted during construction.
Leakage from the walls
The reasons for filtration/leaking across borders are as follows:
Non-provision of damp proof course
- Lack of plinth protection
- Lack of chajjas, facias over openings
- Low orientation and wind direction
- Lack of cladding of stones/waterproof plastering and decoration
Leakage from an upper floor
The causes of leakage from the upper floor areas under this is a common issue faced by waterproofing in Mumbai team:
- Crack in the closet and its trap
Remedy: It should be replaced.
- Leakage from hidden joints of the pipe
Remedy: The same one should be checked and removed…
(iii) Encrustation and consequent creation of holes in the hidden water source piping, leaking water out of the environment.
Remedy: It should be replaced. This situation should naturally arise after 20/30 years when complete pipelines have rusted. The only treatment, in this case, is to replace the whole pipeline.
- Improper disposal of washbasin waste pipe towards Nahanni trap’s mouth and inappropriate finishing of the floor area above the Nahanni trip.
Effect of leakage
The structure is badly affected by dampness. Water’s prominent effect is as follows: A damp building creates unhealthy conditions for those who occupy it.
- The metals used in the building’s construction are corroded.
- On the wall surfaces and ceilings, unsightly patches are created.
- The decay of timber takes place rapidly due to dry rot in a damp or leaky atmosphere.
- Owing to dampness, the electrical fittings are degraded.
- The material used as floor coverings is severely affected.
Maintenance/leakage for penetration
A well-planned/executed building should have good maintenance as well. Program. This includes
- Care from day today.
- Preventive preventive operations
In homes, seepage is primarily caused by neglected repairs. To prevent water stagnation and consequent infiltration/leakage in buildings, the following steps are necessary.
- I was cleaning the drains of terraces before the monsoon and when surprised.
- The removal of fittings with leaky/damaged washers.
- Leaky/damaged pipeline repair, gate valves. Etc. Etc.
- Replacement of flanges with leaky/damaged gaskets.
- Substitutions in CI drain pipes for leaky/damaged joints.
- Replacement under Air Handling Units of leaky/damaged MS trays.
This information was provided by design companies in Pune.