Houseflies as well as a few other filth flies can be found in most of our homes as well as business premises. Each of these flies have a different characteristic and ways of breeding. Therefore, to prevent and control their menace, you have to use different measures.
Houseflies are the largest available insects that you can often find in your surroundings. Premier Screens Ltd has therefore come out with their door fly screens so that it can help you to prevent their entry inside your home.
The following are a few different varieties of flies that you can always find around your vicinity if the sanitary condition in your area is poor.
Large filth flies
- Housefly (Musca domestica)
The following are a few characteristics of housefly:
- Dull gray color
- ¼-inch long having 4 dark stripes
- Lay eggs on garbages and animal feces
- White, legless maggots hatch from their eggs and then grow to ½ inch
- Adult houseflies can fly a couple of miles.
- Blowflies (Calliphoridae spp.)
The characteristics of blowflies are:
- Their larvae develop inside dead animal’s bodies
- Almost same size that of house flies, or slightly larger
- Their shiny green and blue color resemble mostly colored glass bottles
If you find large numbers of such flies indoors then it indicates any dead animal present nearby.
- Flesh flies (Sarcophagidae spp.)
The flesh flies have the following characteristics:
- Usually, these flesh flies seek carrion or meat scraps
- They lay their eggs on the above
- Adult flesh flies look similar to houseflies
- Dark-colored (gray or black)
- Common species have 3 dark stripes on their thorax
- On their abdomen, they have got a checkerboard pattern.
- Stable Fly (Stomoxys calcitrans)
Following are the characteristics of the stable fly:
- Always not found in filthy areas
- Both male and female species feed on animal and human blood
- Often bite around the ankles
- Their bites are painful
- Does not transmit any disease to humans
- Females lay their eggs in manure or rotting straw.
- Cluster Fly (Pollenia rudis)
Following are the characteristics of cluster fly:
- They are not associated with filth
- Resemble houseflies
- They hold wings parallel to their body
- Covered with very fine golden hairs with no stripes on their thorax
- Lay their eggs on earthworms.
- Adult species often invade homes.
Small filth flies
- Fruit Flies (Drosophila spp.)
The following are their characteristics:
- Attracted to sweet things
- Females can lay eggs around such sweet materials
- Typically the gnat-sized adults will have bodies of tan-colored with red eyes.
- Phorid Flies (Phoridae spp.)
Following are their characteristics:
- Their larvae can feed on a different decomposing organic debris
- Huge populations can build up if they find suitable materials
- Infests on liquefied garbage, carrion, and sewage
- Often remain hidden in difficult places to inspect or access.
- Drain Flies (Psychodidae spp.)
The following are a few characteristics:
- About 1/8” long
- Infest in raw sewage
- Often noticed in bathroom walls
- The larvae can survive submerged in mucks that accumulate in the floor, sink, and toilet drains
You can always use fly screens for doors to prevent any of these types of flies that are mentioned above.