The consumption of clothing has become a form of standardized collective alienation. The consequences are however disastrous at different levels, with irreversible social and environmental impacts. The polluting and slavery behind the scenes of fashion are presented in numerous documentaries.
Today, no one is unaware of what is happening. We are now all informed and therefore able to act if we want to. However, as this is a recent awareness, it is still quite difficult for many people to know where to start. If this is your case, this article can help you in that direction.
To change your consumption habits and consider a more eco-responsible wardrobe, here are 5 essential tips for choosing custom made wardrobes.
Make the most of what you already have
The most eco-responsible clothes are those which are already in the wardrobe and which no longer involve any production process or transport. It is therefore fundamental to reconnect to your wardrobe, to see its full potential and to use everything it offers to the maximum.
Very often we get bored of certain clothes, we forget them in a corner. We prefer to think that we lack it rather than to consider all the possible uses with the existing one. If we don’t bother to imagine and try other ways to wear our current clothes, we are missing the essential aspect of an eco-responsible wardrobe.
Detoxify yourself from addiction to permanent renewal
Women are the prey of fashion and beauty manufacturers. Everything is done to make us fall in love (windows, pubs, sales, endless news).
- To this are added the other phenomena of influence which are taking on a monstrous scale with social networks.
- We dress under the influence of all the time and under the exciting effect of perpetual novelty. There is a form of addiction with a constant need for renewal. We can’t stand repetition anymore.
- Detoxifying yourself from this need for novelty is another key step towards a more eco-responsible dressing.
How can you do?
We advise you to get away from all these sources of temptation: you unsubscribe from brand newsletters, you no longer go into fast fashion stores, you no longer follow the influencers who offer new looks every day.
Rediscovering your clothing independence and no longer being dependent on what you see and what attracts you is to regain power over your wardrobe and your own style!
Slow fashion is above all about dressing conscientiously. We can very well fall into overconsumption in second hand and ethical mode too. Whatever the type of purchase, as responsible as it is, the problem is always overconsumption.
- The essential principle of slow fashion, before wondering where to consume, is to relearn how to dress consciously.
- This means, no longer buying without knowing why, blindly, just for fun or under the influence.
- There should be genuine involvement and thoughtfulness in every purchasing decision so that the garment is durable.
- Instead of buying to throw away, one should always buy for the sole purpose of keeping.
Learn to choose better
Very often, we get lost in shopping to “buy a style”, reassurance, self-confidence. It is true that well-chosen clothes are real allies for a better being, to reveal oneself and to magnify oneself. But still it is necessary to choose very well precisely.